By now you have most likely heard of Meetups (sometimes known as happy hours), but have you heard of a Tweetup?
If you are an avid Twitter user you may be curious about meeting, in person, with other Tweeters you have chatted with. After planning and forethought, this is called a Tweetup!
There are a lot of good reasons to attend a Tweetup. You can finally put a name to a face, you can connect and network, and you have the luxury of speaking with more than 140 characters at a time!
If you are the one doing the organizing, there are a lot of things to remember when planning a Tweetup:
- Invite your tweeps! Utilize all your Twitter connections for word of mouth marketing. This is the best way to get the all the info out to your followers and their followers and their followers, etc. Plan for more people to show up than you expect. Word of mouth marketing goes far!
- Create a unique hashtag. The most effective way to get out the information before and during the Tweetup is provide a hashtag that defines the event. Make sure that your hashtag is unique and specific so that it doesn’t get mixed up in other conversations going on.
- Confirm WiFi is available. One of the worst mistakes you can make when planning a Tweetup is to gather a bunch of social media pros with no way for them to Tweet, check-in, or send an update.
- Make sure you have a plan. Why are you hosting a Tweetup? What will you be doing? Will there be a speaker(s)? Include these details in a Facebook event or Eventbrite invitation.
- Food, drinks, and treats always pull people in and entices them to stay. It’s easier to mingle and chat with snacks and drinks!
- Last but not least, provide name tags and sharpies. Ask your guests to display their name and Twitter handle for easier recognition.
If you are attending the Tweetup, there is only one thing to remember:
- Have fun and mingle!
Compass Learning will be hosting a Tweetup with Getting Smart during SXSWEdu on Tuesday, March 3rd in the Social Media Lounge (Rooms 13A and 13B on the 4th floor of the Convention Center). Come talk personalized learning with us and create your own bag of sweet treats at our candy buffet! We’ll be tweeting pictures and updates from the event, just follow #sxswpersonalized for all of the live updates! RSVP by responding to our Facebook invite here and visit our website for more information.